Since they don't know the baby's sex, the nursery is gender neutral with grays and yellows, whites and wood tones. Anne has found a few cute things throughout her pregnancy with elephants on them to decorate the nursery, so when I stumbled up these elephants at World Market, I immediately thought - BABY MOBILE!
I picked up an embroidery hoop (after bringing the hoop home, I stained and sealed it) and some some yarn to hang the elephants from.
To begin, I painted a metal washer with some turquoise acrylic paint and then hung it from our dining room chandelier. This way, I could suspend the embroidery hoop from it so I could tie each elephant on the mobile.
With my washer dangling from the light fixture, I cut two equal lengths of yarn, fed them through the washer and tied them to the embroidery hoop with a few knots. Now we were ready to start attaching elephants.
Before we could get started on the elephants, we had to address one small problem - or rather, about 75 small problems. Beads. Lots of them. Which meant the string of elephants needed to be deconstructed and re-assembled WITHOUT said beads.
I started by snipping the threads that held all of the elephants together to discard the beads.
I would have loved to have taken some photos of the mobile hanging above baby's crib - but my sister lives 4 hours away, so that ain't happenin'. Luckily, there is a hook above Brent's side of the bed, so he gets to stare at a baby mobile while he goes to sleep each night until we can deliver it to it's rightful owner.