A year ago, when Brent and I began planning our workshop, I could already visualize sweet little flower boxes on it. Knowing there were a ton of other details that needed to come first, we put off building them...until THIS WEEKEND! We wanted something a little different than the standard white boxes with brackets you see everywhere, so here's what we came up with.
If you want to build some for yourself, you'll need about 3 1x4's per box, which should be about $15 worth of lumber. Brent ripped the 1x4's down into strips.
Here's an important step, I used an orbital sander to round off the edges of all the front and side pieces to create grooves.
If I hadn't rounded off the edges (Brent says this is called "breaking the edge"), the fronts and sides would look flat.
Then cut a piece to size for the back and attach to the interior supports.
At this stage, I sanded everything again with the orbital sander, making sure to round off all of the hard edges. I also used a sanding block to get into the tight areas.this picture on Pinterest, I definitely wanted to stain them! I applied two coats of American Walnut stain (one didn't get them as dark as I wanted) and three coats of spar varnish.
I'm so happy that we went with the stained flower boxes - I think the color of the boxes ties the mulch color (looks like we need to add more mulch!) and roof color all together.