Saturday, December 21, 2013

Advent - Week 3

Oh man....things are starting to get cah-razy!!!  Last weekend we had church activities, family pictures, a big birthday party for my mom and sister and the kids' Christmas program and brunch the following day.  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday calmed down a bit but then we were thrown right back into the holiday vortex of madness.

Brent and I had the absolute PLEASURE of assisting with Emma's 1st grade class party.  Words cannot describe.  Thankfully, the kids had a great time and we were thankful that the party was only an hour long.  That night, Brent and I served as the kitchen crew at my mom and dad's house for a holiday get-together for all of my mom's co-workers.

Friday held dentist appointments and work parties for both Brent and I - by this time I was developing a really bad cold and Owen was catching it as well.  Halfway through my work party, we got a phone call from my mom that Owen had taken a turn for the worse, so we left to go pick him up to get him home for some rest.

Which takes us to this morning.  With Owen and I under the weather, we cancelled our ginger bread house decorating party for this evening, so we have all day to try to get better before another crazy week starts.  Here are some of things we crossed off of our Advent list this past week, even with all of those other things going on!

1.  We had our family movie night.  This is our kids' absolute favorite thing to do with us - we always start with a fresh bowl of popcorn.  My sister taught us how to pop it over the stove awhile ago and that's how we prefer to make it now.  Do you guys notice when you make microwave popcorn that it leaves a film on the inside of your mouth??


OK, and I realize this may be super obvious, but I had never thought of it...when you put baby marshmallows in your bowl of popcorn, it tastes like popcorn balls!!  We also throw M&M's in there, but they sink to the bottom so we are all always fighting to get at those.  Mary Poppins was the movie we watched, which I enjoyed as a child.  It's kind of a weird movie when you watch it as an adult though - especially the strange man in the park that draws the pictures that they jump into.


2.  Brent took the kids sledding.  I was at work when this was occurring, but I wasn't terrible sad because cold weather + Heidi does not mix - and Brent knows this.



3.  Emma and Owen made gifts for their teachers.  We bought these little red burlap sacks and used our snowflake stencil to paint a design on them.




We then stuffed the bag with a thank you note and a Starbucks gift card - because really...can you go wrong with Starbucks?!


4.  We drove around and looked at Christmas lights - LIKE A BOSS!!  My siblings and I surprised my mom by renting a luxury limo bus to drive us around to see the lights.  I tried to take some pictures but they didn't turn out very well - you'll have to use your imagination.

5.  Wrapped Christmas gifts.  You know how this goes, the first one is fun, the second is ok and by the third, you are pretty much over it.  Emma and Owen helped me tape up the first...


And then they lost interest and spent the rest of the time talking through a wrapping paper tube.


6.  The kids wrote letters to Santa.  The only conclusion I came to, is that they really don't know what they want because it changes every time I ask.  Fortunately, Santa has already decided what they're getting, and lets just say, the kids MAY be disappointed.



Owen asked for a plethora of items - I think he was just trying to name off everything that he could see in eyesight.  The only real take-aways here were a Bouncy House and a little Christmas Tree in his bedroom.



Emma's was a little more articulate and a little more disturbing.  Handcuffs..yep.



7.  Delivered Angel Tree gifts from our church.  This was pretty fun, we got to deliver a minivan full of gifts and food to a family of 8.

The gifts and food all get sorted by family in our church gymnasium.




Man, it's no wonder Owen and I aren't feeling good - that was a busy week!  We are looking forward to the excitement that the next few days will bring - seeing your children's anticipation for Christmas is an amazing thing to watch.

What is everyone else up to this weekend?

1 comment: